If you live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist or your combined trips to and from the specialist exceed 200kms per week, you may qualify for the Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS). IPTAAS is a NSW Government initiative providing financial assistance towards travel and accommodation costs when a patient needs to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment that is not available locally.
You can apply for IPTAAS here.
IPTAAS will reimburse you for travel costs associated with your specialist treatment, including:
- 22 cents per kilometre for private car travel
- Full reimbursement for public transport or approved air travel
- Taxi reimbursement at the following maximum rate:
– One visit/consultation: maximum $20
– Short-term visit (2-7 days): maximum $40
– Medium-term visit (8-14 days): maximum $80
– Long-term visit (15 days or more): maximum $160.
Private accommodation: If staying with a relative or friend, you and your escort carer may be eligible for a subsidy of:
- $20 per night regardless of the number of nights you stay (or $40 per night if you are staying with your escort).
Not for Profit accommodation: If you are staying in a not-for-profit organisation, for the first seven nights in a financial year you will be reimbursed at:
- $43 per night per single room, $60 per night per double room.
- Additional nights during the same financial year will be reimbursed at $65 per night per single room, $85 per night per double room.
For Profit accommodation: If you are staying in a hotel, motel, hostel, apartment or caravan park you may be eligible for a subsidy of:
- One to seven nights: $43 per night for single occupancy (or $60 per night if you are staying with your escort)
- Eight to fourteen nights: $80 per night for single occupancy (or $105 per night if you are staying with your escort)
- Fifteen nights plus: $105 per night for single occupancy (or $120 per night if you are staying with your escort).